Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Guest Post: Darby Karchut, author of Finn Finnegan

Y'all! I'm so excited about today's guest in Alli's World! Darby Karchut, the author of Finn Finnegan, is here today to school us in the history and legend in which Finn's story is based. When I enjoy a story, I know I like to find out as much as possible about that world. If you are anything like me you will enjoy today's post! 

(See my review of Finn Finnegan by clicking here.)


~Darby's Post~

The Celts of Colorado

Hi everyone! *waves from Colorado* Thanks so much for letting me visit today and talk about the mythology behind my story. Since my undergraduate degree is in anthropology, this kind of stuff sends my geek meter through the ceiling.

Finn (not Finnegan) MacCullen, and his master, Gideon Lir, are based on the legend of the Tuatha De Danaan (tua day dhanna), a semi-immortal race of beings who were one of the earliest inhabitants of Ireland. In some accounts, they were gifted with warrior-like abilities and considered themselves descendents of the war goddess, Danu. According to the legend, they had invaded Ireland in the late Neolithic era and wrestled it from the Fir Bolg, an even earlier race. Sadly, they were, in turn, displaced by the Bronze Age humans. I took that long ago diaspora and moved my version of the Tuatha De Danaan to modern day Colorado, and gave them a new enemy to battle: the goblins known as the Amandán (AH-mon-dan).

The Amandán were Irish and Scottish figures which were said to reside in fairy mounds. They were feared because it was believed their touch, called the fairy stroke or poc sidhe (poke she) caused paralysis or death.

Besides wielding some wicked cool bronze weapons, Finn and Gideon also have an additional weapon: the Song of the Tuatha De Danaan. This chant gives them heightened abilities, such as being able to run faster, jump higher, and take a blow that would level most humans. The Song is actually based on the famous ‘Song of Amergin’, an early Celtic poem. 

The wildly popular band, Emerald Rose, had written a variation of the ‘Song of Amergin’ for their 2002 album, Celtic Crescent. One of my editors, Trish Wooldridge, introduced me to this band and their version of the Song entitled ‘Fire in the Head.’ Trish worked her magic and before I knew it, Emerald Rose gave Spencer Hill Press permission to use ‘Fire in the Head’ as the pseudo-theme song for Finn Finnegan. If you want to listen to the song, go here

Thanks again, everyone, for letting me indulge in this bit of Celtic scholarship. There’s more in my author notes in the back of Finn Finnegan if you are interested. And, please, ask me questions and I’ll try to answer them. I do not pretend to be an expert in Celtic mythology, just a humble neophyte.

Darby Karchut is the award-winning author of GRIFFIN RISING and GRIFFIN'S FIRE (Twilight Times Books), and FINN FINNEGAN (Spencer Hill Press, March 2013) and GIDEON'S SPEAR (Spencer Hill Press, February 2014)

Find out more about Darby!


Prize Pack Offered by Spencer Hill Press 

No comments:

Post a Comment