Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book Review: Warm Bodies




Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Source: Purchased
Fave Quote(s):
"I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses."

Find Warm Bodies on Goodreads.
So. I like zombies. I don't really have a good reason. They are just "walking dead" but I think what I like most about zombies is there is an element of hopefulness. I just always want to find a cure zombie-ism. You know, it's like their gone but not all the way gone so maybe, just maybe, we can fix them. And that's about the point in the movie/tv show/book that my brain would become a snack for zombie.

Some of the things that I find fascinating about the zombie/dystopian/post apocalyptic genre (and this totally held true for Warm Bodies and reading Warm Bodies is what got me thinking about it in the first place) are the questions they pose and force you to think about if you go just a step or two beyond the surface.
Such as:  


~The question of humanity, what is it and who actually has it?

~What would you do to protect and to preserve your life and the people you love, are you willing to sacrifice, what and who are you willing to sacrifice?

~The question of morality, what is right and wrong and are you prepared to change your definitions?
Back to specifically Warm Bodies, I liked it's unique approach to the zombie condition. Warm Bodies suggests that zombies do have some thought and are capable of slightly more than stumbling around, moaning, looking for brains to munch. The zombies in Warm Bodies made their own community and families of sort.


The main character, R, is a zombie. Warm Bodies is told from R's zombie prospective, which was awesome. (Cause the only other zombie stories/shows/movies I'm familiar with show the human perspective with no regard to how the zombie might feel.) 


Also, I am sucker for an impossible love story. And what's more impossible than a zombie romance? But it WORKED soooo well! And really, isn't redeeming love the best?? (I had a crush on an {obviously} fictional, zombie. *Sigh* I love boys in books, what can I say.)


Warm Bodies is funny, sad, thought provoking and even optimistic. I think that hopefulness is one of the big reasons I enjoyed Warm Bodies as much as I did. There is R's hopefulness that there is something more than being a zombie, there is "the humans" hopefulness for a better life, and the collective hopefulness once they join forces to create a new kind of existence.

I give Warm Bodies 5 out of 5 stars. I totally recommend this book for older teens and up. There is some adult language, themes (but not too bad), and of course zombie violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment