Sunday, January 6, 2013

Down with Downton Abbey


Usually I just blog (mostly) about books. Books I want to read, have read, etc. But I recently finished watching the first season of Downton Abbey on DVD and I just had to blog about it. Um. So. Good. I've seen several people talking about the show on the internets, specifically author Beth Revis (see this is still sorta bookish, right?). 

Ok, anyways. The show. It's set in rural England pre World War I. It's dramatic and smart and funny. And I can't believe I waited this long to watch this little gem. Really people, if you've ever thought about watching Downton Abbey...DO IT!
 
My local library had season 1 and 2 on DVD. I was so enthralled by the show I held marathons for myself watching all the shows in a matter of days! I am soooo over the moon about this show! 

Season 3 begins tonight, January 6, on PBS. (The fact that it airs on PBS maybe have part of the reason I was reluctant to watch, I'm ashamed to say. Maybe I thought the show would be too smart for me or something. But I'm pleased to say I've been reformed!) 
 
Photo of the Downton DVD from the PBS store.

Also, confession time I have major crush on a fictional character, Matthew Crawley from the show. He's sweet, hardworking, and adorable. ;-)

(Side note...it took me forever to realize it is not Downtown Abbey but in fact Downton Abbey. It sounds so much better on the show when the actors say Downton. I still kind of felt like a dork when I realized it.)

To bring it back to books cause that's how it works in Alli's World...I have found this book: Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by The Countess of Carnarvon. This book tells the story of real life inspiration for the show. It's now on my To-Be-Read list. I can't get enough of Downton!

Book Graphic and more info on Goodreads.






No comments:

Post a Comment