Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review: Intangible by J. Meyers


Possible Spoilers to follow...
You have been warned. :)

Intangible is about a a set of twins, Luke and Sera, who have special powers. Luke can see the future but can't change it and Sera is able to heal people. (Bound to be some conflict around those kind of abilities, huh?) I thought this was a very good story. I was surprised to find there were other mythical creatures in this book, including vampires and elves. Which is not a bad thing, I just didn't realize I was going to be reading a "vampire story." I liked the way Ms. Meyers was able to intertwine the Real world and the Realm world. I especially liked the way there were supernatural elements occurring in the Real world and also a whole separate Realm world as well. If that didn't make sense then read the book and let me know if it makes sense then! :) 

To be completely honest, I did not particularly care for a couple of characters in Intangible. After getting to know her a little better, I really didn't like one of the main characters. Sera just started to grate on my nerves after a while. Several of the other characters on occasion would tell her something and she would just totally ignore what they said, best case. Or at worst case, she got mad when they tried to advise her. She was just so darn hardheaded! (And she Googled vampires which reminded me of another vampire series I'm fond of...) 

I also didn't care for Sera's love interest, Marc, which could just be because I wasn't digging Sera. As the reader, of course, I knew more of what was going on but come on Sera! There were so many red flags in relation to Marc! I understand being lonely but don't give in to the first {insert bad word of your choice here} guy that comes around smooth talking you! And furthermore, once you realize he's being said {bad word} don't continue to pine after him!

My personal dislike of these two characters is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it can actually make a book more real. I mean, I don't like everyone all the time in real life either and the same goes for fictional characters. And they did have some redeeming qualities. Sera can heal people! And Marc, well he has his moments of goodness but I still don't like the guy.

I did feel that there were several stories lines going on in the background and there were a few I'd like to find out more about (ie, Luke and Fey, Sera and Jonas, what's going on with Marc now). In the last couple of pages we are introduced to a couple of new players and I assume they will be instrumental in the next book. 

With all that being said, again I think the storytelling was good and I enjoyed the read. If you like Young Adult Paranormals then this is a good choice. I'd give Intangible a 3.5 out of 5 stars and I'd like to read the next installment in this series. I'm really looking forward to seeing what direction the story line goes. 

Thanks again to J. Meyers for providing me a free e copy of this book for review! More info on the author can be found on her website by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment