Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review: Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: Apollyon
Series: The Covenant Novels
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Source: Review Copy from the Publisher
Favorite Quotes: 

"And together, hand and hand, we stepped through the gates to the Underworld." 

(Alli's comment: If that ain't love I don't know what is baby! Le sigh.)

"There was that damn pause again and then he said, 'Everyone dies, but in the end it comes down to what you are willing to die for; Alexandria.'" 

(Alli's comment: I always like those personally challenging moments and interactions in books, shows, movies, etc.)

See more on Apollyon on Goodreads.

I know I sound like a broken record but L.O.V.E Jennifer L. Armentrout's writing. Her sexy, snarky stories are some of favorites. I read this a couple of weeks ago, made some notes but it's hard for me to review without giving to much. 

Basically this is what I want you to get from my review: I know that officially Apollyon literally just came out. But can I please have Sentinel (the 5th and final book in the Covenant Series) NOW!?! Only not really cause I am SOOOO not ready for it to end!! I have so much emotion invested in this series! 

Also, I realized one of the things I really like about JLA's writing style while reading Apollyon. She has this ability to write like she is just talking to me like a friend. Like I really feel like Alex could be one of my good friends as I'm reading the book. She just writes like how I'd want my conversations to go. How JLA manages to do this is just...AMAZING! (I'm fairly certain if I attempted to do the same it would be incredibly lame. Again, Jennifer is a writing godess so there's that.)

***From here down I tried to be a spoiler free as possible but...if you don't want to know anything about the book just stop reading because I had a hard time being spoiler free. If you haven't read Apollyon or the rest of the Covenant series, get to it ASAP!***

Truthfully, I wasn't too fond of the beginning. I'll just say the "My Seth" thing just about had me DONE with Alex right from the get-go. I don't care if she could help it or not, she was just pissing me off. But it got better and back to the love story and intense action I wanted to read!

After her breakthrough, Alex is pretty awesome, even though is the big, bad Apollyon she still has a big heart. She wants to save her people, humans and Seth (yuck, I'm so NOT a Seth fan). Plus Seth makes everything so difficult for Alex. She still believes in him and thinks he's worth trying to save. 

(I mean, I'm not heartless, I get he's had troubles but he just wears my nerves out. We all have crap to deal with in our lives, deal with it, move on, and use your power for good you big baby! Grrr. Okay, the Seth rant is over, for now.)

I love how Jennifer had one of her characters reading a book about hot aliens! Way to shout out to her other mega popular Lux series! (Which, incidentally, I also adore!) Even the character's in her books have good reading tastes! :)

I gave Apolloyn 5 out of 5 stars! My recommendation: READ IT!

See my review for other books in the Covenant series, Pure and Deity here on the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment