Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Review: The Conduit by Stacey Rourke



Title: The Conduit
Series: Gryphon Series
Author: Stacey Rourke
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Source: Review copy from the author

Find The Conduit on Goodreads.

For some unknown reason, it took me forever to get around to reading The Conduit. This was a mistake. I should have got to reading it much sooner! I really enjoyed this book! 

The Conduit is a story with strong familial relationships, mythical creatures, hard hitting action and a dash of romantic interest. It's really a good mix that made for good reading. 

The main character, Celeste Garrett, finds out she is the "chosen one" to save the world and her siblings are her sentries. I really liked Celeste's family. She has a good relationship with her older brother and younger sister. And her Grams is fabulous! She just seems so awesome. I hope, if I ever get to the grandmother stage, that I am like Grams.


I think middle children everywhere will rejoice reading this book. How often is that the middle sibling gets to be the big hero? I loved the relationship between Gabe and Celeste. (Gabe is 21 and Celeste is 18.) It just seemed they were a great big bro/younger sis team. They razzed each other but you knew they really had each other's back too. The youngest sibling was Kendall or Keni for short (who, btw is 15). She kinda got on my nerves. She's the annoying little sister who is way too perfect to really be likable to me. 

Celeste's love interest is a young reporter type college boy named Alec. I don't trust Alec. Just something about him I that I just don't like, I can't put my finger on it yet. But I'm not sure he's all he seems to be. (So, I'm a cynical reader. Hopefully, I'm wrong about him...maybe.)

My only real qualm this read was I thought the kids, especially Celeste, really "accepted" there supernatural-ness much better than I ever would have. It was kinda like, "Really? REALLY? Well, okay. Let's train with this other random other worldly creature in the remote mountains." I just think there would be A LOT more freaking out if it was me learning I had to save the world for some Aslan type creature of some unknown Narnia type mythical place.

I gave the Conduit 4 out of 5 stars. I've already begun book 2 of the Gryphon series, Embrace. I think my qualm maybe getting addressed. I haven't read much into yet but I'm excited to continue the series and see what's in store for the Garrett family!

No comments:

Post a Comment