Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Obsidian Obsession

Hey y'all! I want to share a book I recently read. Obsidian is a young adult fiction novel by Jennifer L. Armentrout. (*note: this is the book I'm reading in my profile pic ;)The book is very good and the author is going to be doing a signing this Friday in Woodstock, GA. Here's a link Jennifer's blog explaining about her tour and the #daemoninvasion.


I reallllly wanna go but hubs has to work, as I'm sure most people do. (But he is usually my go to partner in crime.) I really don't want to drive all the way out there by myself but if no one takes pity on me and comes with, I guess I'll be forced to go it alone. :( 


Anyways, enough of my pity party, here is my "review" for Obsidian. I think should you check out Obsidian and obsess with me!


Obsidian is about a teenage girl (Katy) who is new in town and moves in next door to beautiful, exotic, and odd sibling duo (Daemon and Dee). 


I really like that at the end Katy stood up for herself and is an admirable female character. As much as she finds Daemon attractive, she has more self respect. She decides she doesn't want a "good enough" relationship. Katy wants a relationship where she has more things in common than physical attraction. She actually says, "I want someone to care for me like my dad cared for my mom. And you aren't him."  Luckily for Katy, Daemon loves a challenge! I can't wait to see how this plays out in the next installment.

One thing I didn't (but did) like is the hot/cold relationship Katy and Daemon had through out the whole book. Come one kids! Either you do or you don't like each other. I think that helps add a layer of passion, if you will, to their relationship. Love and hate are both strong emotions and often they overlap more than one would hope.

I really loved at the end of the book (at least in my copy) were a couple of chapters from Daemon's perspective. You really find out more about why he acted the way he did. Those chapters really endeared Daemon's character to me. I mean, I got that he was a totally alien hottie but this helped understand his attitude and stand-offishness.

I liked that Katy was a blogger and that she was obsessed with books. That helped me identify with her as a "real person."

Here's a quote from the book, because if you are like me...I didn't know what "obsidian" was before I heard about this book!

"This is obsidian--volcanic glass. The edge is wicked sharp and will cut through anything," he explained quickly. "It's the only thing on this planet, besides us, that can kill the Arum. This is their kryptonite."



I'm so flipping excited about this book and signing I got crafty and created this tee shirt (with help from a very awesome friend!).We used the Cricut to cut out the letters of the word in vinyl. Then stuck the letters to the shirt. Next, I sprayed the tee shirt with bleach from a spray bottle. I over saturated the shirt with the bleach so I had to move on to Plan B. I used spray paint over top were I over bleached so the word would alas show up. (None of my DIY projects ever turn out right the first time I try.) Anyways, I'm still pretty stoked at the way the tee turned out. Lastly I did some cutting on the tee (around the neck, arms and bottom) and I'm calling it finished now.

No comments:

Post a Comment