Friday, October 5, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Wow. This book. I read it one sitting. Granted it is short, only about 211 pages. But it is really good. It is uniquely written in a series of letters, addressed "Dear Friend," almost like diary entries. It made me literally laugh out loud in some parts and cry in earnest in others. Since this is Banned Book Week, this book is an excellence choice. It has been on the challenged book list several times and I understand why, there is teen aged drinking, sex, drug use, and homosexuality. BUT that being said, I think it perfectly captures the feelings that I know I had when I was a teen, heck sometimes still experience even though I didn't/don't participate in those types of actives. That feeling of loneliness in a crowd of people that should be your peers. The feeling of not having friends and being willing to do just about anything to gain one, much less many. I think we just need to realize that people in general, especially teens are dealing with some, if not, many of the issues presented in this book. Being an adult, you realize that it is a passing phase of life but when you are going through it hurts and those pains are REAL.  I really don't like reading sad books but if they are wonderfully written then they have the potential for becoming the best books.


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
In action. Signing books and 
posters for us fans!


Hubs and I had the chance to attend a screening of the movie version of The Perks of Being a Wallflower with the author of the book/screenwriter and director Stephen Chbosky. The movie is AMAZING! I think it is awesome that Chbosky was able to play such a major role in the book to movie adaptation. That rarely happens but he did it wonderfully. I think the movie was a little lighter than the book. Obviously some scenes couldn't be in the movie because of time and flow constraints but I think all the important parts were included. This is just a really good coming of age movie (and book) and I totally recommend them both!



“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

Stephen answering fan questions after the movie.

I was so excited to get to go to this event, I really didn't plan well and I forgot to take notes. But I remember Stephen saying something like, it was important to do a movie like Perks because you can be sitting in the movie theater and know that the people beside you, in front of you, and behind you are all experience the same emotions you are while watching the movie. The point being you are not alone. Most of us have felt the way you are feeling. Especially for teens, I think this is important to realize. He said as you get older you forget how big things feel when you are younger. Once you are older you can see how things do work out, but it is important for parents to try to remember what that was like.

Stephen did say that he working on another book, YaY!!

“He's a wallflower. You see things. 
You keep quiet about them. And you understand."
Signed book!


If you a person who has ever experienced the feeling of loneliness and not fitting in please read the book or at least see the movie! I give this book (and movie) 5 out of 5 stars. I totally recommend it.

Other bloggers I like that encouraged me to read this book:
elizziebooks
smashattackreads

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I am really happy to hear that you connected with this book. I think many of us do. It's a personal experience but as you and Stephen said, just looking around the room, we know that all of us get it.

    And why didn't I know you were there? I wish I would have stayed until the very end. How stupid of me to leave early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post that helped me pick up this book. I am very grateful I did!

    We didn't get there til it was almost too late but they let us "sneak in" anyways. I'm so glad we did! This movie is still NOT playing in the Athens area yet!

    ReplyDelete