Saturday, March 16, 2013

Author of Glow: Jessica Maria Tuccelli

On Thursday, March 7, we were honored to attend a book event for author of Glow, Jessica Maria Tuccelli at Avid Bookshop.  Avid is a great little indie bookstore, I highly recommend if you are ever in the Athens, Georgia area.

Photos of Glow around Avid.

During the discussion Jessica dropped several little gems on us that I jotted down to think about and share with you all. (Maybe not her exact words but only because I can't write that fast.)

  • She adores independent bookstores. "Each is unique and a sanctuary." (Ahhh, so true!)
  • "You don't need permission to write, you need imagination."
  • "Write what you are passionate about or what you are curious about."
  • She couldn't share about the project she is currently working on because (and this is beautiful)... "Creating is like magic!" And if she talks about it she feels like she'll loose her magic.
  • "I read to connect to imaginary people. I write to connect to real people."



Jessica Maria Tuccelli reading from her novel, Glow.


Hubs and I really enjoyed this event. We both agreed that Glow is different from what either one of us usually reads. But we are both from Georgia and close to where the Glow is set (Rabun County). So we are familiar with the area. It sounds like it will be a good read. (It's been compared to The Help!) And it seems like one of those books you feel smarter for having read. 

(Please tell me I'm not the only person who thinks this way about certain books. Books that are so exceptional that you feel more intelligent because you read them? For example, I often feel that way when I conquer a classic.)

Anyhow, I'm really proud to add Glow to growing collection of books. Let me know if you have read it and what you thought in the comments!

Find more information about Glow on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment