Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review: Origin by Jessica Khoury





Title: Origin
Author: Jessica Khoury
Genre: YA Sci-Fi
Source: Purchased  

Fave Quote(s):


"Get your emotions under control, Pia. Keep your eye on the goal, not the steps you must take to reach it. The goal is everything. The steps are nothing. No matter how difficult the journey is, the goal is always worth it."
~~~~~~

"Love makes you weak. It distracts you from the important things. It can make you lose sight of the objective." 

~~~~~~


I read Origin by Jessica Khoury a few weeks ago. It was a really great read but it kind of left me with a book hangover. And it took me a while to get my thoughts together to get my post written. Bottom line is the great should be at the top of your TBR pile!

I was thoroughly impressed by Origin. I had the chance to see author Jessica Khoury when she was at the Decatur Book Festival this past year. She looked very young and as it turns out she is 22 years old! (Holy crap! I'm 28, what I am I doing with my life! But I digress.) 

Jessica Khoury is on the far left side at the Decatur Book Fest Panel (2012). See the rest of my DBF post.


Anyway, from the one panel I saw her on and the few moments of talking with her while she signed my book she seemed very mature and wise beyond her years. Still I wasn't sure what to expect from her debut novel. I was pleasantly surprised with just how good this novel was--not for a 22 year old, not for a debut novel but just as a book in general. Origin is really a great read.


In Origin there is enough  tragic "love story" for the romantic in me. Some beautifully touching moments as well as heart pounding fight and/or flight moments. There's lots of science type stuff for nerd in me but not so over my head I didn't get it. It was the perfect mix really.

I like that Origin posed some difficult ethical questions. And I appreciated how we discovered all the pros and cons of the experiment along with the main character, Pia. 

Part way through the book I was totally on board with what was going on with Little Cam, sure it was odd but yeah whatevs they are making some crazy cool scientific advancements. But as we progressed through the novel and more and more of the true nature of Little Cam was being exposed I was ready to go down to the Amazon rain forest shut it down myself.

If you like Beth Revis' books I think you would probably like Origin, only Origin is in the jungle not space. But they have a similar sci-fi feel. I give Origin 5 out of 5 stars. The signs of a good book: it left me with a book hangover for a couple of days and challenged me to think about demanding ethical choices.

Ms. Khoury did confirm on Twitter that she is working on another book. She tweeted, "It will be a companion novel to Origin--same world, new characters, new setting, new science. =)" And that the "next book will be out (tentatively) next winter." YAY!!! I'm so psyched, I can't wait to read more.


The book trailer just gives you a glimpse at the Origin world. Hello, hot jungle boy!

2 comments:

  1. I COULD NOT BE ANY PROUDER THAN I AM. JESSICA, MY GRANDDAUGHTER, HAS BEEN A WRITER EVER SINCE SHE WAS 4. HER SECOND BOOK WILL BE A GREAT SUCCESS, AND THE ONES TO FOLLOW. I WANT TO ADD THAT HER 3 OTHER SISTERS, KATHARINE, LESLIEANNE, AND MADLINE ARE FULL OF TALENTS AND GIFTS, I PRAY I CAN LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE THEM COME TO PASS. LOVE ALL 4 OF YOU GIRLS. YOUR PROUD PAPA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Khoury thank so so much for that comment! I'm so honored you posted that here! I'm sure your grandbabies are proud to be yours! So touching!

      Delete