Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Shades of Earth




Title: Shades of Earth
Series: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Genre: YA 
Source: Purchased
Fave Quote: 
"Don't you see? Those monsters you've been so worried about. Not aliens. People. The monsters have always been people."


More info on Shades of Earth on Goodreads.

Shades of Earth is the third book in Beth Revis' Across the Universe series. I read the first two books, Across the Universe and A Million Suns, before I started blogging but I REALLY loved them. Which surprised me because before that I'd never thought I'd like a "space book" so much. (Yay for getting out of my reading comfort zone and finding books I really dig!)  The thing about the books in this series that is so awesome to me is not the space element but the relationships and the exploration of what it really means to be human.

I absolutely devoured Shades of Earth. I been wanting to read it since I finished A Million Suns over a year ago. So while I might have wanted to pace myself, I just had to know what was going to happen. Oh. My. Gosh. My first thought upon finishing Shades of Earth was I loved it, hated it and then loved it again. There was just so much going on in this one. I really don't know how I can talk about without being spoilery but y'all...this is a must read series.

The whole series and especially Shade of Earth has this murder, mystery, romance, sci-fi space thing going on. I mean really, it's something for everyone. The mystery will keep you turning the pages and the seemingly ill-fated romance will pull at your heartstrings. Just know that it seems Beth takes pleasure in torturing her characters and readers. Be ready for an amazingly wonderful emotional roller coaster!

I gave Shades of Earth 5 out of 5 stars. You really do need to read the first two books first and they are all so worth it. Shades of Earth ended the way a book and a series should. I still care about the characters but there is an actual ending, there is enough left open that you wonder where the characters now or 10 years from now. But I really appreciate that there is a resolution.

Also, if you haven't read Across the Universe yet, then don't forget to enter this Alli's World giveaway for a signed paperback copy! (Just a few hours left to enter!)

Lastly, just for fun, here's a pic of my nails and shoes that I wore to the Breathless Reads event! (See above link for the giveaway.) By the way,  Beth loved my shoes! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment