Friday, November 9, 2012

Educational Day Trip: Toccoa

Last Saturday hubs and I took day trip to the Toccoa, Georgia area. I wanted to share with you guys some of the pictures we took.

First, the historical site of Travelers Rest which used to be a stage coach inn. It was pretty cool walking around the grounds. And I was made aware of how grateful of modern convinces I am, namely electricity and indoor pluming. For more info on Travelers Rest click here.



We also visited the the Currahee Military Museum. This was pretty pretty awesome. They have some really amazing artifacts from World War II at this location. The white dress you see below is wedding dress fashioned out of a parachute! (Wow!)


We went out to the memorial at the base of Curahee Mountain and up the mountain. We just drove up but I can not even image the troops trying have to run the "3 miles up, 3 miles down!" in training for the War. While sitting at the top and looking over the valley I was overwhelmed with gratitude with all our military has done.


We had a really great day checking out some nearby historical sites. Sometimes you don't have to go very far to see new things. I recommend checking out the local sites around you. Make a day of being a tourist in your own areas!

And since this is usually a book blog...while we were in Toccoa I was reminded of a couple of books I already have sitting at home in my to-be-read stack! Now I'm even more excited to read them. So I'll share those with you as well...

Origin, author Jessica Khoury is from Toccoa! See Goodreads info here.

Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffrey Speakoff, Goodreads info here.

Where do you like to go for a day trip? Any good sites near you? Leave me some comments about great places to vist!

No comments:

Post a Comment