Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: The Childe


Title:The Childe
Series: The Childe Series #1
Author: C.A. Kunz (A mother/son writing duo, how cool is that?)
Reading Level: YA
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Received a free copy from the Authors (for review) at Decatur Book Fest for review, THANKS y'all!

For Goodreads info on The Childe click here.

My thoughts:

First, I really like the cover, it drew me in the first place. It just has a really cool, almost creepy look to it.

It took me a while to read The Childe. The story was pretty good but there were other books that I wanted to read more or had a more pressing "deadline" to me. I will say that it was a very good read for this time of year. The paranormalness of it was perfect for the Halloween season.

I personally don't like books that seem to come from too many different perspectives. This book's main character Cat is well rounded, a high school freshman transfer student, athletic, and has trouble with algebra. (The algebra thing is where I bonded with Cat!) She has just enough bad girl to keep her from being a goody two shoes. She has these long monologues with herself which felt unnatural to me. I'd prefer to be shown what a character is feeling than told. But that could just be my personal preference. I did like her chemistry with her love interest Ryan, heck, I was kinda crushing on him before too long too! I heart my fictional crushes!

I felt like there were a lot of characters. A lot. I did put the book about half way through and pick it back up about two weeks later but seriously. It seemed like there a ton of characters. Cat has a big circle of friends plus some of their parents and her teachers, her brother plus his friends, lover boy Ryan plus his friends and her parents plus their circle. It was just a lot, I felt like I needed a flow chart to keep up. And again, maybe it was just me but the dialogue between all these characters seemed a bit odd. Nothing I can put my finger on but something was off. It didn't necessarily take away from the story but it didn't really help either.

I realize this book is part of a series BUT nothing really got resolved, at all, in almost 400 pages. It took about 390 of them to tell us what a Childe is and that there are, in fact, vampires in this world. I had kind of suspected this but I wasn't sure til the very end. I still don't know what the other group is, I assume "they" are werewolves. There was a lot of implication but not a lot of actual facts being relayed. I just wanted them to hurry up and tell me something already!

The book spans Cat's whole school year so I understand it is going to be long, I just felt like it was a lot of build up and I didn't get a lot of pay out. I like the paranormal elements set in a fairly "realistic" world. And the basic story seems to be pretty good but I just wanted to get to something happening a little faster. I enjoyed the mystery element to it. I'm still kind of wondering where it's going to go and what is going to happen. I don't regret reading this book but it was just an okay read for me. I'm not dying to read the next one. I'd read it eventually if I had it.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I noticed on Amazon and Goodreads several people gave The Childe rave reviews so if you are interested in this book give it a try!


Check out the book trailer here:

No comments:

Post a Comment