Friday, November 30, 2012

Guest post by Terri Morgan, author of Playing the Genetic Lottery

Today, I have a treat for you here on the blog...it's my very first author guest post! YaY! First, I'm so happy an author wants to guest post on my blog and second though I haven't read it (yet) this book seems like it will be really good! I've been interested in psychology type things since middle school, so Playing the Genetic Lottery by Terri Morgan seems like it would be something I'd find interesting. After reading Terri's guest post I'm really looking forward to reading Playing the Genetic Lottery and I hope you are too!


Pic and more info on Goodreads.

In my first radio interview after my novel, Playing the Genetic Lottery, was published the talk show host started off by lobbing me a softball. I had sent him the first six chapters of my book, which is a memoir-style novel of a 32-year-old wife and mother who grew up with two schizophrenic parents, to read before we talked on the air. Noting that a good half of the book covers my protagonist's teenage years, the first question he asked was if it was challenging to write from a teen's point of view.

"That was the easy part," I replied. “because I feel like I'm still in high school.”
Despite being in my 50s, I still have vivid memories of what it was like to be young. And since I have not yet reached senility, my memories of my teenage years are still very strong. Perhaps it's because I still am in contact with a lot of my friends from high school. Or, more likely, because one of my favorite sayings is "Getting older is mandatory, but growing up is optional."

That's an adage I've tried to live by. But before you envision a total slacker still living with their parents, using a scooter for transportation, and babysitting for pocket money, let me explain. I'm a responsible adult. I pay my bills on time, run my own business, and maintain a household. I use my turn signals when I drive, floss my teeth daily, and pay taxes. Inside this aging body, however, is an inner child who just wants to have fun. So, at the risk of blowing my adult cover, I'm going to admit it. I not only wanna have fun, I make it a priority.

So in addition to washing dishes, reading the newspaper and deciding how to vote in the upcoming election, I play with my dog and I play with my friends. I play outside, in my yard, at the beach or on one of the many hiking trails near my home. I play card games, go to movies, ride my bike, and I try to laugh as much as possible. And I remember what it was like to be a kid. I remember how wonderful it was to spend hours lost in conversation with a friend. The spine tingling excitement of my first kiss. How intensely certain songs touched my soul. I remember how good it felt to jump into a cool mountain stream on a hot day. I remember trying out new identities, like Ava does in my book when she changes her name to Caitlin.

My teenage years weren't all fun and games. I clearly remember how my emotions ran wild, and how impulsive and impatient I was. I remember how much I worried about my friends' opinions of what I wore, said, and did. I remember how my friends and I talked, using sentences full of slang and four letter words. I remember, with embarrassment, how immature I was, despite thinking at the time I knew everything. I remember being completely frustrated when my parents "just didn't understand." I remember reacting in irrational anger sometimes at minor irritants, like misplaced book. Fortunately most of the angst has faded, but a lot of the fun remains.
So channeling my inner teenager was easy. She's still a big part of me.

Terri Morgan is a freelance journalist from Soquel, California. She is the author or co-author of eight books, including many for young adults. Playing the Genetic Lottery is her first novel. When not working, she enjoys reading, surfing, romping with her dog, and shooting the bb gun her husband bought her for her 50th birthday. She can be found on the web at http://terrimorgan.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment