Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review: Jack Templar Monster Hunter


Title: Jack Templar Monster Hunter
Series: The Templar Chronicles 
Author: Jeff Gunhus
Reading Level: Middle Grades
Source: Review Copy Provided by Author

More info on Jack Templar on Goodreads.

It took me forever to read this short book. I think with the holiday and the general busyness for this time of year really got in my reading way! 

Jack Templar was a good coming of age type story, perfect for a young reader, especially boys. There are all kinds of monsters; harpies, vampires, werewolves, zombies, teachers that in fact actual mythical creatures, and so forth. There are epic fight scenes between the Monster Hunters and monsters, good verses evil.

My favorite quote from Jack Templar is the Monster Hunter mantra, "Do your duty, come what may."(Working in Public Safety, I quite like that! I may use that in my daily life from now on!) 

The main character Jack occasionally speaks directly to the reader, providing advice. It's kind of cool and I think a younger reader would really appreciate that. 

I guess the author was going for reverse psychology but he kept saying, "don't read this book!" That's not really my favorite approach. Maybe that's why it took me so long to finish it! But it was a fun little read. It's a good start to a series but I am left with many questions and I really hope the author continues this story (and soon!). I give Jack Templar 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment